When we first got married, I had a handful of meals that I knew how to cook. But Riel didn’t like any of them! Not homemade chicken noodle soup, scalloped potatoes, or even spaghetti. I’ve since realized that my execution may not have been as impeccable as I once thought. And Riel was more than willing to cook dinner – if we wanted to order pizza or have a freezer dinner. This fried rice was one of the recipes that eased the tension when dinnertime came around.
It’s based on Rachael Ray’s Special Fried Rice, though we have made several changes (like adding meat!)
- 1 ½ Cups white rice
- 3 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 1/3 Cup chopped onion (or green onion)
- Shredded carrots, bell pepper, and any other veggies you like
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce (Be careful! It is easy to ruin the whole dish with too much soy sauce)
- Cook rice in rice cooker (or on stove-top, if you must) and let cool.
- Heat up a couple tablespoons of oil on the stove-top.
- Scramble an egg or two in the oil.
- Stir in your veggies – whichever you prefer. We do carrots, onions, garlic, sometimes bell peppers or green onions.
- Cook your meat. We like chicken or shrimp best. Pork would probably be good as well.
- Add the rice and fry everything together for a few minutes.
- Add any frozen veggies (we skip these because Riel can’t stand peas or corn!) and soy sauce.